- Mobile phones
   - Phone masts
   - Powerlines

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

- Liability disclaimer -
- Privacy policy -
- Cookies policy -
© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Alternative to BT Homehub wifi for internet access?

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Alternative to BT Homehub wifi for internet access?

Post Time: 03/07/2008 20:25:05
Aubergine44
Total Forum Posts: 2
Hi there. Whilst reading another discussion about EMF fields where I live in a town centre (within 150m of several masts including Tetra mast on police station and elec pylons - I will post about this in another thread), I noticed an entry about BT homehub wifi and being unable to turn off the DECT on this. I am concerned about Wifi Particularly for my children and so turned off the wifi, now using a cable for the desktop and managing without intenet access on laptop. I was completely ignorant, until now, about the DECT on the home-hub! When wanting to turn off the wifi, I asked BT for a simple modem for the broadband but they said they could only now supply the wi-fi home-hub, but I could turn off the wifi (after assuring me that this was unnecessary because wi-fi is completely safe!). So, what is the most effective way of getting high speed broadband without a wi-fi hub? Thanks.
Post Time: 28/07/2008 21:48:45
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
I had answered this, but somehow my reply was never posted. Maybe my connected crashed at the time. Sorry about the long delay before I have now realised that my reply was not there!

Any ADSL modem or, ideally ADSL router will actually be faster than the BT Home Hub using WiFi. A Router is preferable as it also acts as a hardware firewall and protects you against outside hacking far better than just relying on software firewalls and a standard ADSL modem. Two good non-wireless routers are:

Netgear - RP614UK 27 GB pounds (e.g. NGR-745144 from Novatech)
Linksys - AG241-UK 39 GB pounds (e.g. from Novatech)

You can get cheaper products, but I would go with Netwgear or Linksys or another good make - it is usually worth it in the long-run. Both these have four ports for connecting computers and you can easily expand these using a 6 or 8-way switch.

You can use an 85 Mbps dLAN to make connections to other rooms in the house if it is really difficult to run the ethernet cables. They send the broadband signals along you mains wiring. That is "electronically noisier" than ethernet cables, but far, far, far less so than WiFi/802.11 wwLANs. These dLANS also operate FASTER than WiFi! (you can get faster still dLANs, but we recommend the 85 Mbps ones as the best compromise between speed and EMF noise.