Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Mobile phone masts at University

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Mobile phone masts at University

Post Time: 16/08/2008 23:44:52
mcfitzgerald
Total Forum Posts: 12
Hello again!

I've just been reading through some of the forum archives and read a comment that the Ofcom Sitefinder mast map is no longer kept up-to-date. Is this still the case? If so, are there any alternative ways to check on mobile phone mast locations? Even on the perhaps 'outdated' map I am rather concerned with the number of masts in the vicinity of my new home - with 5 or 6 being around 500 metres away.

More importantly, however, I am very concerned that the map shows that the local University I will attend in Sept as a mature student has 5 masts within it's main buildings/grounds!! I'm sure these must really be helping the students concentrate on their studies!?!

Being electrosensitive, I am now worrying how these masts are going to affect me and my studies. Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I might protect myself? I mentioned in my last message about making clothing from the cotton electrocloth - would you consider this a viable & beneficial solution at University if this included a 'beanie style' hat to protect my head area? I don't see a headnet as a workable 'street-cred' solution unfortunately!! :)

Oh, this is all beginning to feel so difficult to avoid! Perhaps I should just go and live on top of a mountain in Morocco?! ;)

Any suggestions much appreciated as ever.

Many thanks,
Michael
Post Time: 17/08/2008 13:01:49
Mikko
Total Forum Posts: 17
Hi Michael

Your situation is not unique.

In my university (in Finland) we have a base station on top of one building.

The radiation power density values are highest close to the antennas in the top floors of that building (average 650-1700 uW/m, peak 1250-3000 uW/m2). And strongest source causing these values is a GSM transmitter working at 915 MHz)

In the opposite building the radiation values are a bit smaller, average about 1000 uW/m2.

BUT in our university we has many areas, where these average values are like 10 uW/m2 --> very low.

So, in the close vicinity (of antennas) these values are high, while around the corner they might be quite low. If you would have a meter, it might help you Michael to check the situation and suitable areas.

AND always remember that the values I measured are something like 1/10000 of ICNIRP values (http://www.icnirp.de/documents/emfgdl.pdf) and much higher than BioInitiative suggestions (http://www.bioinitiative.org ). That is why Eileen has kindly organised a conference next month ;-)

Cheers

Mikko
Post Time: 18/08/2008 16:42:37
Sarahp
Total Forum Posts: 48
Dear Michael,

The sitefinder website is no longer up to date, but it is as good as we've got. There are no other map sources in the UK.

Masts are VERY numerous in city areas, and 5 or 6 within 500 metres might be considered low for some of these addresses. We do find that DECT phones and peopl's computer WiFi systems often expose people including neighbours more than the masts themselves. It is an increasing problem especially for those who are sensitive to EMFs.

I suspect the same is true for students - access to the internet with wireless laptops is likely to be more of a problem than the masts, though I could be wrong.

Protective clothing might help, but you have to remember that RF radiation does not travel in straight lines and it bends round obstacles, so full protection is almost impossible. You could protect your head in the way you describe, though the RF will go under the hat. Your body will still be irradiated and it is unclear what effect that will have.

Don't go to Everest, it has a mast on top!

Jean
Post Time: 31/08/2008 10:06:16
mcfitzgerald
Total Forum Posts: 12
Dear Mikko and Jean,

Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry for the delayed response but I've been unwell for the last week or so (not sure if related to my exposure and lack of sleep since house move as discussed in other thread).

Do you think it would be a good idea to buy one of your 'serious' meters in addition to my MW1 to help detect phones masts, wi-fi/wi-max etc? I did watch the panorama episode on youtube (featuring Alistair!) and thought it was great. Very concerning though as I LIVE IN NORWICH!! :) As for exposure at the University - I guess I'll just have to put up with it. But, limiting my exposure to the most dangerous areas using a meter as Mikko suggested makes sense.

My MW-1 doesn't seem to pick up masts even when I walk past them (is that right?) so I am a bit worried about a pole which looks very like a mast literally opposite my house now that you've told me that the Ofcom map isn't up to date!

That's amazing, Jean, that a mast exists even on top of Everest!! Although, it wouldn't be my first choice of mountain to live on top of! :) A little shepherd's hut with a vegetable patch and a few goats in the pyranees - now that's becoming very appealing! :)

All the best,

Michael