© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - double insulated room thermostats

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

double insulated room thermostats

Post Time: 18/08/2008 11:52:13
krishna
Total Forum Posts: 9
The programmable room thermostats I wanted to use, I have just discovered (having bought them) is double insulated. Having read Alasdair's comments on laptop leads, I just wondered if there is something I can do to earth these?

They are actually a Danfoss Randall TP9000 and TP7000.

They both have an earth connection, though they claim it is not necessary; just a place to fix the earth cable if there is one. I'm using twin and earth and 4+earth cable, so presumably if I use these connections and earth at other end I should be OK?

Thanks
Post Time: 19/08/2008 12:05:26
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
I see that the earth connection is on the backplate. That should be fine, just connect the earth wire. Because the unit is in a plastic box and is double-insulated, it will give off electric fields close by, so I suggest that you locate it at least half a metre from anywhere people spend a lot of time. Most controllers will be of this type now.

I am not clear how you can use two controllers together (TP9000 and TP7000) as each are designed to control the boiler/pump and not individual radiators. Do you have two separate heating systems? The usual way to use one of them would be to have one as the main heating system controller and then mechanical thermostatic valves on each radiator to allow some rooms to be set cooler (using the mechanical thermostatic valves on the radiators) than the main area with the controller's temperature sensor.

Alasdair

Post Time: 20/08/2008 22:03:23
krishna
Total Forum Posts: 9
Thanks Alasdair. Will do.

The reason we have two is that we have divided the heating into 2 zones: one upstairs, one downstairs. This allows us to programme the heating to match our patterns of use of rooms better.