- Mobile phones
   - Phone masts
   - Powerlines

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

- Liability disclaimer -
- Privacy policy -
- Cookies policy -
© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Safest desk / floor reading lamps?

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Safest desk / floor reading lamps?

Post Time: 09/09/2008 21:49:48
mcfitzgerald
Total Forum Posts: 12
Hello all,

My apologies for the relentless barrage of questions recently but I have another quick one.

I am keen to buy a new reading light in preparation for my University studies with the nights now drawing in but am concerned after reading your 'Killing Fields' book and the on-line article which mentions high electric and magnetic fields in various types of lamps. Do you have an overall opinion as to which is the safest type to go for - Floor or Desk type? - Full spectrum, Halogen or Natural daylight energy saving bulbs?

I have my eye on 2 in particular at the moment - both floor standing, one with an energy saving natural daylight bulb(The Flexi-Vision by Daylight Company) and the other with a low temperature halogen bulb (The Alex reading light).

Do you have any suggestions or perhaps even recommendations of the safest lamps for long hours of reading?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Michael

Post Time: 11/09/2008 21:48:20
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Hi Michael

A floor light would usually be better for fields as the wiring is further away from you.

Many sensitive people do not get on with CFL energy saving bulbs as they operate at high frequencies and emit electric fields from about 30 kHz to several MHz. I personally do not like the light quality, either.

The Alex lights are expensive but look good and will be Earthed as they are made of metal (excellent!) and have an ordinary halogen bulb which is good (no high frequencies). However, I presume they have a 230 volt to 12 volt transformer in their base - so you should not have you feet on that!

My personal choice at present (by far) is an ordinary incandescent 60 watt bulb - I find that gives me the least problems (both EMF and eye strain). However, they are meant to be stopping the sale of such bulbs in the next couple of years. So, probably one of the Alex ones would be best. Generally, I do not like dimmers, but it might be useful to be able to adjust for the best brightness if you will be doing a lot of reading.

That's my thoughts. No absolute answers!

Alasdair
Post Time: 12/09/2008 21:30:54
mcfitzgerald
Total Forum Posts: 12
Thanks Alistair for taking the time to consider my questions and provide a fast, detailed and extremely helpful reply. I will certainly be renewing my subscription to the Powerwatch site when it runs out soon because you guys are so helpful and your advice is proving invaluable!

I'm glad that I asked you about this light issue as I was leaning towards the much cheaper CFL lamp! Even though money is tight, and bearing in mind your comments about stopping the sale of incandescent bulbs, I will do what is necessary to buy the rather expensive but better and safer Alex Reading light.

Thanks again for your help! :)

Best wishes,
Michael