Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - low emission monitors

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

low emission monitors

Post Time: 16/09/2008 09:29:42
katie hulse
Total Forum Posts: 1
Dear Alasdair,
I currently have a laptop toshiba which we have in a small space under the stairs. I am hugely affected with instant headaches and other symptoms and know laptops are supposed to be worse for this.( I have suffered from heart arrhythmia in the past which may or may not be a symptom). My mother has bought us a computer to replace this as we can obviously site it a few feet from where I sit and move it to the sitting room. Her computer expert has advised a HaansG flat screen monitor which he says gives off low emissions and he has sold one to a client with ME who has found it good. Our daughter also has ME so I am also interested on that score. (We live in Kings Langley near the Steiner school and I spoke to you on the phone some time ago about mobile sensitivity when you were very helpful.) Do you think we should get one of these monitors or do you know of any better? I tried to contact the firm to find out what the low emissions were exactly, with no joy. I am keen to sort this out as writing emails is a nightmare, though I do it as little as poss. Also, our daughter wants to use the laptop - surprisingly she says she doesnt feel symptoms with the laptop, even though she has had ME for six years.( maybe wishful thinking), but I am obviously concerned as she sometimes has to use it for schoolwork and wants to be independent. I know you mention checking the wiring system on laptops which we will do. At the moment it is difficult for me to read all your info on the site as it makes me ill sitting here. We always have the computer plugged in, never on wifi. Does having it in a confined space make a difference? I did try plugging it in elsewhere in the house but it still affected me. When trying my mothers standard computer with monitor, the effects do seem less. I am obviously concerned about effects on my health from even short bursts on a computer, as people will only communicate in this way - gone are the days of the phone! I'm sure I have forgotton to ask something but the beauty of this scheme is I know you are there - thanks!
Katie
Post Time: 20/10/2008 22:12:45
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
I don't know that particular flat screen monitor, but flat screen TFT monitors are generally reasonable and if that one suits one ES person it may well also suit you.

Some laptops (you do not say the model) make it very difficult to turn off the built-in WiFi and it pulses at full power continuously while the laptop is on, calling out repeatedly for a wireless network to log on to (that you don't have). You can turn the wireless adapters off, but by default they are usually turned on and they expose you to quite high levels of RF signals. You need to get into the windows setup files to do this (My Computer, Control Panel, Network Connections). This microwave WiFi pulsing can really zap people who are sensitive.

Virtually all laptops (there was about a two year period about 4 years ago where some Toshiba Inspiron models did have an Earth connection, but this was soon discontinued) have only a two-wire connection to the mains and need a separate "earthing lead" if you are electrically sensitive; otherwise you have very high power-frequency electric fields (hundreds of volts per metre) at the keyboard. EMFields sell these and they are easy to connect. That may be the cause of your problem. It is a common problem with laptops.

Good luck.

Post Time: 20/11/2008 12:13:38
Mikko
Total Forum Posts: 17
I agree with Alasdair about the need to ground your monitor (and PC/laptop) properly. Hopefully you Katie find a good monitor and get it properly grounded :-) A friend of mine with EHS recommended monitors which consume minimal amount of energy. He saw that these models are more likely to have smaller electrical and magnetic fields.

Usually, in laptops the problem is the magnetic field. When I did measurings with a Gigahertz ME 3030B (an older meter), there was over 1,5 uT (microTesla) just on the front edge of my IBM laptop :- So, the biggest exposure is in your palms and fingers when you type. (Has anyone thought how many ergonomic problems are actually related to EMF ;-)

That is why I recommend always external keyboard and mouse. Or... actually a docking station for the whole laptop, many meters from where you work ;-)

My Finnish EHS friends also disconnect the power cord from the laptop when they start working. Battery-style, you know ;-)

Take care

Mikko
http://beyondcreativity.blogs.com