© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - emissions from taxi base transmitter mast

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

emissions from taxi base transmitter mast

Post Time: 15/10/2008 15:08:04
sayno_tospam
Total Forum Posts: 6
There has been an application to operate a taxi base complete with transmitter very close to my home. Could anyone let me know if there is any evidence for harmful emissions from taxi masts and whether planning take these into account when considering applicatons?
Thank you
Post Time: 20/10/2008 22:27:07
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
The levels will be below those from a similarly located mobile phone base station. Neither will come close to the very high public exposure limits allowed in the UK and most of the world and so are of no help with planning applications. If it is a UK permitted system, then it is "deemed to be safe".

The higher the antenna / aerial on the roof, the lower the exposure in the local area will be and the lower the power they will need to use.

You would need to ask what type of system (AM/FM/Digital(what type)/etc) they are planning and what the maximum radiated power will be in order to predict what the exposures will be and if any adverse effects might be expected. The likelihood is that the mast will not be a cause of any significant problems compared with existing signals in your area. Some PMR (Private Mobile Radio) systems use TETRA, the new Police, Fire and Ambulance system, which some people say affects them badly.

Post Time: 29/10/2008 16:53:46
sayno_tospam
Total Forum Posts: 6
Many Thanks for your response Alisdair and apologies for my delayed acknowledgment. I am not sure what type of system is proposed because it's not specified on the planning application but it remains of concern due to it's proximity. It may not be possible to find out what system is proposed if it is automatically "deemed to be safe" by planning.
I did hire a COM meter sometime ago to check existing signals and did not pick up anything of significance within my home (apart from when the microwave was on or my mobile (which I rarely use and only with a bluetooth headset)picked up a call). I live in an urban area with multiple WiFi networks etc. and probably due to my ignorance I remain puzzled (but relieved) that they were not detected by the COM meter. Would the ACom or electrosmog detector have been more informative? I was waiting to hire an acoustimeter but is this not available yet and have you any idea when it might be? I would like to gain an overall picture of existing i.e. background, signals in my area and despite reading the description of what it measures i.e. signal level as opposed to pulses am not sure whether the COM meter did this.
Post Time: 08/10/2009 09:42:48
Jean Philips
Total Forum Posts: 22
The Acoustimeter has just become available for hire (£35 per week) or sale (£279 + £4 p&P).
You may have already resolved your questions about the exposure near your home, both from WiFi and the previously proposed taxi rank. If not, the Acoustimeter may be of use.
See http://emfields.org/equipment/acoustimeter.asp
or phone 01353 778814 Mondays to Fridays 9.00 to 1.00.