Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Multiple Masts

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Multiple Masts

Post Time: 18/10/2008 12:40:50
helsbells
Total Forum Posts: 7
HI

I live about 200metres away from a mobile phone mast, 1st question is that far enough? 2nd question does it make a difference that there are multiple masts at the site, about 5 I think according to the offcom site (not the steel grey poles but all on top of a BT building)or is the field the same?. I live in a city so it is impossible to avoid them completely but I am market permitting looking to move and am trying to look at propertys about 400-500 metres away in all directions.
Post Time: 20/10/2008 22:42:59
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
At 200 metres, with a clear view of the masts(s), you will typically be in the "main beam" and the highest levels are typically found (apart from a few local "hotspots" close to the mast) between 120 and 250 metres away from a mast.

Sitefinder is not accurate these days. Multiple masts will be additive and generally increase the signal levels in the area. 400 metres plus should be in low signal areas from masts, but try to avoid high power (over 26 dBW) macrocell mast sites and certainly avoid sites over 28 dBW on Sitefinder. The only way to be fairly sure is to take some measurements after you have found a likely house. If you are closer, then you can shield the most vulnerable rooms. We have had to shield the bedrooms on one side of our house that is about 80 meters away from two base stations mounted on a water tower.
Post Time: 21/10/2008 10:11:37
helsbells
Total Forum Posts: 7
Thank-you for your comprehensive replies, I also apologize if the information is already elsewhere, I have severe cognitive problems and am slowly working my way through the information on the site - getting it to stick is the trick :-)i have checked back at the ofcom site and there are more than I thought. All are macrocell and all are licensed up to 32dBW. There are 6 at 200 metres: 32dBW, 29.5dBW, 27.4372dBW, 25.4dBW, 24dBW, 20.8dBW, Then about 250 metres two further at 29.8125dBW and 30.5dBW. There are houses in between but I think you have said these wouldn't shield? I live in a low lying area of the city along with the masts. So can I be absolutely clear this cocktail would add up to more than the sum of its parts. Also could you recommend a very basic book to introduce me to some of these concepts so i can better grasp what is talked about here. I really mean quite basic

Many many thanks