© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - sub stations

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

sub stations

Post Time: 18/10/2008 12:45:23
helsbells
Total Forum Posts: 7
Following on from my previous question - how far away from sub stations is safe? I am thinking the distance necessary might not be too great? Also what about a lampost in front of or near the house - is that quite innocous? Again to do with moving don't want to swap one problem for another, I am seriously ill with environmental illness so I need to absolutely sure.

Many Thanks
Post Time: 20/10/2008 22:47:46
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Substations themselves are not too much of a problem. The fields generally fall off to background levels within 4 or 5 metres.

There are severe problems in some (actually quite a lot of) places due to underground electricity cabling faults causing "net" or "stray" currents that, in turn, produced signficantly elevated magnetic fields. The only way to tell is to measure them. EMFields hires and sells power-frequency EMF meters.

As an example, we recently measured a house next to a substation with very high magnetic fields, but these were coming from cables under the pavement and hardly any at all were coming from the substation. Indeed, houses 50 metres along the road had even higher fields from these unseen cables.