- Mobile phones
   - Phone masts
   - Powerlines

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

- Liability disclaimer -
- Privacy policy -
- Cookies policy -
© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - bluetooth microphone?

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

bluetooth microphone?

Post Time: 10/11/2008 11:44:36
mara
Total Forum Posts: 2
I am very concerned, because I rely on a voice dictation program for typing on my laptop due to problems with my wrist which makes typing with my fingers difficult. I used to use a microphone headset which attached by wires to the USB port but it was always getting tangled up, so I was very pleased when I found I could purchase a wireless mike which just fits over my ear. This device communicates with a Bluetooth adapter in the USB port. Now after reading up on electromagnetic stress, I dread to think what this device is doing to my body, since I wear it against my head several hours a day for my computer work.

I would really like to hear what experts think about this and especially if any alternatives can be suggested. My writing business is totally dependent on the computer, and can't be given up.

Post Time: 12/11/2008 21:05:20
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Bluetooth for these applications is very low powered. If you were ES (Electrically Sensitive) then you would not be able to use it, but most people will usually be OK (as far as we know) and not have any adverse reactions. Watch out for unusual (or new) headaches, new concentration or memory problems, new sleep problems, unusual tiredness. If you don't get any of those (or any more that you already had) then you are probably OK using it.

If you are in your own room or a place where you can talk at normal levels, then you could consider a wired microphone on a stand - either on the table with the laptop on on the floor next to the table (that would be better to minimise laptop fan noise, etc). You need a directional microphone so that it doesn't pick up noises from all around. The types used for radio interviews are good for this purpose. You don't want one designed to record orchestral music - you really need one intended for voice work. I have used a variety on such microphones for computer voice input with success.
e.g.
Maplin - Mike Stand with boom XM49D £14.99
plus - Mike holder RK92A £ 4.49
plus - Microphone e.g. YU33L £ 9.99
plus - 6.25 to 3.5 mm adaptor to plug into laptop mic socket JB20W £ 2.49
www.maplin.co.uk

I hope this is helpful.

Post Time: 16/11/2008 15:13:44
mara
Total Forum Posts: 2
Thanks for your reply.
I would prefer to keep the bluetooth mike system, as I move around with my laptop. But I am curious what you would say regarding this: I rented an emf meter and there was no noise around my new laptop. But when I inserted the bluetooth adapter, a regular clicking pattern began. When I then turned on the headpiece cordless mike, there was a really loud continuous tone. Does this still suggest my bluetooth system is low-powered, or does the noise suggest it's higher than you suppose?
Post Time: 25/11/2008 10:32:43
Sarahp
Total Forum Posts: 48
the noise suggests that there is a regular pulsing signal. The volume is an approximate indicator as to the signal strength - and you can pretty well say the louder the sound, the stronger the signal.

With a pulsing noise, it's a lot trickier by ear to judge whether the "max" volume is louder than a steady tone.

I'm assuming by "an emf meter" you mean something like the A-COM monitor (which makes a sound in the presence of pulsed microwaves). This will be very good for measuring pulsed microwaves but won't detect electrical fields from keyboard etc if you are reacting to those.

In summary, anything that is "wireless" will almost certainly be using microwaves to communicate (there are some infra red ones too) and it's always worth using the cabled (wired) versions where possible if you are concerned about health risks.