© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Unaccountable EM Radiation

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Unaccountable EM Radiation

Post Time: 13/01/2009 13:51:57
mhs1
Total Forum Posts: 1
Over the last three years I have had my life disrupted and my health effected by electromagnetic radiation entering my home. I believe this is probably some form of microwaves because of their penetrating properties and the heating effect. I do not live near any pylons or mobile phone masts. It mostly happens at night. These are some of the effects: waking up during the night feeling very hot with a strong burning sensation in some part of my body, several hours later I will experience a dull aching inside my body in the effected area; on other occasions I have experienced pains in my joints; tingling sensations; pins and needles in my hands and arms; and occasionally nausea and dizziness. After trying different counter measures I have found that rolls of builders lead are effective as a crude shield. But I am now thinking of buying copper foil to construct a faraday cage but I am not sure that this will be able to provide complete protection from what is a narrow beam of high-energy microwaves. I originally thought the source of the problem was x-rays and obtained EDP II dosemeters and these have recorded dose rates of 10 micro seiverts but I do not believe this represents the full power of the source. So I have three questions: do the columnists think a faraday cage constructed from copper foil will be able to resist penetration by a powerful beam of microwaves (or can they suggest an effective alternative), and secondly can they recommend any detection devices I might try, and finally have they heard of any instances of people being harassed with EM radiation in the UK.
Post Time: 15/01/2009 18:15:03
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Very puzzling.

Most unlikely to be microwaves unless some NME is "zapping" you which is not unknown, but very, very, unusual and unlikely.

It could be unusually high power-frequency electric fields from the house wiring - some people become very sensitive to these. Try turning off your electricity at night at the main switch.

10 microsieverts over what time? UK background ionising levels are usually between 0.05 and 0.2 microsieverts per hour, or 2 to 5 uSv per 24 hrs. It is higher in high radon areas. 10 uSv/hr would be alarming and need urgent investigation as it would be due to some sort of contamination.

A metal lined box will stop microwave penetration (and/or get very hot if the beam really is very high powered). Copper, Aluminium or any good conductive metal will do. There most be no actual gaps. For air you will need to have a fine grill (say with holes less than 1mm) or a multiplate vent (look up on how to make screening enclosures).

Ionising radiation is possible. Microwaves unlikely, unless you are a deliberate target. Power-frequency electric fields a possibility. I would definitely recommend a full health check-out with your GP in case you have some other medical problem developing.

EMFields hire a COM monitor that would check for microwave/RF zapping from most usually used sources. That would be worth a try. There are high power very high frequency microwave military units available that it might not detect but these are not in use by British forces (armed or police) at the current time and are not available on the open market and are extremely expensive. Home-made beam weapons using a magnetron from a microwave oven will be detected by the COM monitor mentioned above.

Best of luck!
Post Time: 15/01/2009 18:46:05
topazg
Total Forum Posts: 13
Also, please do carefully read "bja"'s thread below. You may be being affected by your own or a neighbour's DECT cordless phone (the base units transmit aggressive microwave pulses 24/7) or BT HomeHub or WiFi/wLAN or other wireless network. These things do badly affect some people.