- Mobile phones
   - Phone masts
   - Powerlines

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

- Liability disclaimer -
- Privacy policy -
- Cookies policy -
© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - How exactly does microwave/radio wave radiation behave on metal surfaces?

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

How exactly does microwave/radio wave radiation behave on metal surfaces?

Post Time: 22/01/2009 09:21:14
peter1000000
Total Forum Posts: 22
Hello,

Could you tell me how MW/RWs behave when they come into contact with a big metal surface, so like a big metal table or some shielding material? Would they attract it then reradiate it? I assumed that it would reflect some proportion of it, but then have spoken to some people who say that it turns into an electron mass that flows around the outside of the objects surface, and if earthed down a wire? Is this correct, I have got rid of most of the metal furniture and objects from my house but am finding it hard because nearly all the shielding materials I have are made or metal, so would they then just be big antennas, attracting crap, and also then if your sitting on a metal, earthed chair, is that good at all? even if its earthed properly?

Sorry for firing 20 questions at once

peter.
Post Time: 27/01/2009 18:46:20
GilStevens
Total Forum Posts: 21
Here are some tools to help understand more:
1) Here is an excellent interactive tool for understanding reflection and refraction across different frequencies and material types by angles of incidence: http://www.amanogawa.com/archive/ObliqueLossy/ObliqueLossy-2.html . Plug in the frequency the material in question dielectric constant and the material in question conductivity.

2) To get dielectric constants, the best starting resource is www.wikipedia.org, go to "dielectric constant". There is a good summary on the page, and in the references section is where you can find more info.

3) Also on wikipedia you can find conductivity levels of different material types. Another good web page on conductivity by metal type can be found at: http://www.kp44.org/ftp/ElectricalConductivityOfMaterials.php .

What you will find with angles of incidence lossy material tool is that different frequencies and different materials have different reflection and refraction characteristics based on the angles from source to destination. So the answer is most likely NOT going to be all for one, one for all. You may have to tweak some things depending on the frequencies you are trying to reduce. At least that is my understanding of the subject. Perhaps others have more insights and better tools to evaluate what you are trying to solve.

Best of luck ...
...Gil