© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - TV Aerials

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

TV Aerials

Post Time: 22/03/2009 22:13:33
elle66
Total Forum Posts: 15
Hello again Alasdair......what I hope will be the final question regarding this rewire. Electricians have advised me that they are putting an 'amplifier' in my loft from which all the tv points will run. Have been unable to find any info on this so have absolutely no idea whether or not this is a good idea.

Also, when I get a tv aerial installed on the roof (believe they're all digital now) is there an ideal point for positioning?

Many thanks

Elle
Post Time: 23/03/2009 18:52:31
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
TV pre-amplifier and distribution amplifier should not be a problem. No issues with the antenna location. Aerial cables (and TVs!) should be well away from beds (far wall is best if you have to have TVs in bedrooms).
Post Time: 23/03/2009 20:22:04
elle66
Thanks once again Alasdair, just what I wanted to hear!

Elle
Post Time: 26/03/2009 22:44:49
Linda
Sorry, this is off the thread, but in relation to "No issues with the antenna location", I have moved into a sharing/flatting situation with young children where the antenna is just sitting in the lounge beside the TV! It is not "rabbit ears" but is an antenna which would normally be on the roof. I didn't notice it before I moved in. Alasdair, could this pose a health problem?

Thanks
Linda
Post Time: 27/03/2009 16:34:01
alasdairP
Linda
No, it should not be a problem. The antenna will not increase the signal that is in the room. It normally goes on the roof because there is usually a better signal up there. It just collects what signals there are and feeds them to the TV down the cable.
Alasdair
Post Time: 05/04/2009 14:11:56
Jayne Papworth
Total Forum Posts: 23
Hi Sorry to jump in on this one but it relates to digital aerials and living close to 2 mobile masts (one approx 315m away and another approx 285m away).
I have just got an electrosmog detector and we are picking up strong intermittent signals upstairs (and a bit at the top of the same certain walls downstairs). My neighbour also gets an intermittent noise and vibration which disrupts her sleep and this has all occurred since the latest mast has been switched on (approx 8 weeks).It sounds like a cross between a 2G noise and a Dect phone when I have tried to analyse the sounds (which is strange as I believe one if not both of the masts are 3G and I can pick up bits of 3G elsewhere but much weaker signals). Both myself and my neighbour have digital TV aerials and we also have a booster on ours (not sure about neighbours), is it possible that when connections are made between houses near us taking calls and the mast (neither of us use our mobile phones) that the signal is being directed down our aerials somehow and being altered and causing this reading? We are hoping to have the aerials removed this week to see if it makes a difference and move onto cable tV and/or in house digital aerials.

1. Please could you advise if you think we could be right in our thoughts about the digital aerial somehow picking up the mast signals
2. If so, what would we need to specify to an aerial engineer to do to prevent the signal coming in again and
3. If we chose digital TV and/ or indoor digital Tv aerials could we cause ourselves more or other RF/ELF problems?

Very many thanks as we are extremely puzzled with this one.

Jayne
Post Time: 08/04/2009 21:45:13
alasdairP
I need to hear the sound (preferably an audio file - a .wav one using the built-in windows recorder and a laptop or headset microphone would be fine).

It could be a wireless LAN (aka WiFi) in a nearby house. They pulse in bursts that vary enormously with time depending on the size of the file transfer at the time. It could be a new data service that seems to have appeared on some phone masts - I think to take pressure off the GSM system for wide video bandwidth to mobiles - like a GPRSv2. I have heard some recent signals that are new to me.

I don't believe that it is anything to do with your TV aerials or amplifiers - whether digital or old analogue.
Alasdair