© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Cordless phones

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Cordless phones

Post Time: 24/03/2009 02:27:02
Linda
Total Forum Posts: 15
I would be extremely grateful if someone could answer my query.
I live in Australia.
I know that DECT cordless phones should be avoided (the new Orchid model LR4610 model appears OK, but is unavailable in Australia). I have received advice that it is better to use a corded phone. I accept this, but my son's alternative school uses cordless phones, states that it needs cordless phones to fulfil its 'duty of care' (I concede that this is reasonable), so I want to check that what the school is using is safe for the children.
I know that problem with DECT is that the phone radiates 24/7 (& does not switch off between calls as the old analogue phones did).
Magda Havas (although extremely busy) was good enough to reply to my email & told me that she uses a Sanyo Model number CLT 2402 2.4 GHz that is a "clean" cordless phone. I looked for this model on the net to see if it is available in Australia but I can't find it.
I've been told 2.4 GHz will interfere with a wifi network, but that does not matter to us as the school will use broadband through phonelines.
I have also been advised that 5.8 GHz should also be avoided.

My school uses a Uniden 2.4 GHz XS 1210 SCR technology phone. Can you tell me if it is OK/safe (i.e that it does not radiate 24/7)?

I am confused about the different technolgy (i.e the difference between SCR technolgy, DECT etc).

The school is open to hearing my worries and seems prepared to change its phones if they are unsafe.
Can you tell us if the school's current phones are safe? Also could you explain the difference between the different phones/technologies (in layman's language)?

I would be so grateful to receive some expert & clear advice on this matter.

Yours sincerely

Linda Park
Post Time: 27/03/2009 16:30:52
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Linda

I can't find out what "SCR" technology is, but it does state that it does not interfere/cause buzzing in deaf-aids, so it is most unlikely to use DECT low-frequency time-domain pulsing. It may be analogue or proper spread-spectrum without low-frequency divisions. So, after all that jargon, it looks as good as you will get and probably OK. Certainly much better than DECT cordless phones (which Uniden also make). Safe / not safe in the long-term? No-one knows, but probably OK. That's the best we can do. 2.4 GHz phones are not allowed in the UK. It is most difficult now to get anything cordless other than DECT in the EU.
Alasdair