- Mobile phones
   - Phone masts
   - Powerlines

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

- Liability disclaimer -
- Privacy policy -
- Cookies policy -
© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Digital Aerials/ low level noise and vibration

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Digital Aerials/ low level noise and vibration

Post Time: 08/04/2009 10:49:48
Jayne Papworth
Total Forum Posts: 23
Firstly can I apologise for my lack of IT skills - please ignore the last 3 posts dated 8.4.09. I had jumped in on another thread response re this query but then relaised that may not be the correct route to get a reply , hence my starting a new thread (and making a mess of it).

It now seems that the signals we were getting in the bedroom were in fact from my neighbours pc which although was supposed to be hard wired was still somehow operating on a Wi Fi basis!? However, we are still getting the low level noise and vibration in their house (and we can pick up the noise in ours) and since this started at the time the mast was switched on are wondering whether the aerial could be acting as a signal conductor somehow?

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks

J
Post Time: 08/04/2009 21:57:44
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
I have answered on the bottom of the older thread (which was fine to do!). I thought the noise might be WiFi. They can be difficult to turn off even when you are not using them. Most broadband telecomms suppliers now provide WiFi enabled routers and these also need to be turned off (in software).

We will delete the unwanted posts. No problems.

Alasdair
Post Time: 08/04/2009 22:35:05
Jayne Papworth
Thanks Alasdair

Do you think this could also be causing the vibration too?

Jayne
Post Time: 10/04/2009 16:12:36
alasdairP
No, I have no idea what can be causing the vibration - do you feel this as a physical vibration or hear it as a noise (in the air or the house, not using an ACOM or Electrosmog detector)? There a number of possible causes of ELF vibrations, but none, that I know of, due to a nearby mast. I assume the vibration is new and did not occur before?
Post Time: 10/04/2009 17:02:29
Jayne Papworth
Hi Alasdair

The noise is also felt as a vibration in my neighbours house. When she lays in her bed she reports the bed actually vibrates and it affects her sleep. The noise and vibration are also intermittent and she has been aware of them since the mast was switched on, which could just be coincidental. We also got a new computer that week but switch it off when not in use and the noise and vibration are there even when it is off. We are going to try switching off both our electric supplies the next time she hears the noise/ vibration and we assume if it is still there then it must be something from outside? It is very puzzling and affecting my neighbours sleep badly.

If you do think of anything we would be very grateful for ideas!

J
Post Time: 11/04/2009 21:04:20
marg5hatesmasts
Total Forum Posts: 15
Jayne asks whether anyone has come across this before.

Alasdair and Jayne
I may be deviating right off track here - but just a mention.
I have been reading an excellent book by Dr med. Hans-Christoph Scheiner entitled 'Mobilfunk die verkaufte Gesundheit' which roughly translates 'Mobile telecommunications the selling off of health'. [alas the book is only published in German -extract given at end of email]

Chapter 14
'GSM-Takt 8.34 Hz: Wann broeckeln die Kathedralen'
['GSM-Pulse 8.34 Hz: When will the cathedrals crumble?']

which is about 8.34 Hz [infra-sound].
[That is Hz - not GHz -as previously mis-typed]

Summary of the German below.
His case study on the effect of 8.34 Hz on human health is about a doctor's family who, after a phone base station started operation, all started to feel unbearable vibrations in their skeletal system --- from the pelvis area up to their jaws. The doctor guessed that it must be infrasound and had measurements carried out. Although the sound was inaudible, it registered as 80 decibels on the meter - 80 decibels is equivalent to the noise of a jet plane taking off! The measurement actually pinpointed the phone mast as the source.
They moved out of the house.

I gather from below that 8.34 Hz is mixed in with the 127 Hz in the GSM transmission??

If anyone reads German then I recommend this book.

Alasdair - Do you have any comments about infrasound from this or any other sources?

Regards,
Margaret

---------------------------------------
Source:
Book - Mobilfunk die verkaufte Gesundheit.
Author - Dr. med. Hans-Christoph Scheiner + Ana Scheiner

"Und gleich dazu eine authentische Geschichte: Ein Gemeindearzt und seine Familie hielten es in ihrer Wohnung nach Errichtung einer Mobilfunkantenne, geschaetzte Entfernung etwa 200 Meter, nicht mehr aus. Die Familienmitglieder hatten urploetzlich das unertraegliche Gefuhl, ihre Bauchdecken, Zaehne, Kiefer, ja das ganze Skelettsystem wuerde vibrieren. Fluchtartig musste die Familie das Haus verlassen. Der Arzt, ein technisch heller Kopf, forschte nach den Ursachen, und kamm zu dem Schluss, es koenne nichts anderes als Infraschall sein. Messungen wuerden durchgefuehrt, und das Ergebnis bestaetigte die Vermutung. Es war infraschall mit einer Intensitaet von 80 Dezibel! Die Quelle, auch dies zeigte die Messung offenkundig war der neu errichtete Mobilfunkmast. Das Haus und die Menschen darin waren messbar und spurbar von Materiewellen , vom ‘unhoerbaren Laerm’ betroffen. Dabei entsprechen 80 Dezibel Infraschall als Schallstaerkeneinheit , wenn wir Wellen hoeren hoeren koennten, der Gerauschkulisse eines aufsteigenden Duesenjaegers. Die Frequenz von 8.34 Hz aber ist, wie wir wissen, neben 217 Hz als Untertaktung dem GSM-Mobilfunk beigemischt!"

Post Time: 13/04/2009 22:19:58
alasdairP
Thanks, Margaret, that is helpful.

Some GSM systems (but not all) do have an 8.34 Hz component, but it is very small and it is only due to gaps in the microwave transmission - there should be no actual acoustic noise/infra-sound associated with it. Nothing should be vibrating in any way.

It is possible that some people are very sensitive to ELF amplitude modulated RF (e.g. people who hear the Taos Hum) and they are personally sensing the pulsing RF as a vibration. That is possible (though no know mechanism is even suggested, as far as I know, for sensing such small negative differences in the RF signal strength).

I do not know how, and with what equipment, they measured the 8.34 Hz. On the normal reference scale 80 dB (SPL) would be about the noise level of a reasonably busy road at 10 metres away from you. A jet taking off is between 120 and 140 dB (SPL) on this scale. 80 to 120 dB indicates a difference of 100 times higher pressure in the sound wave. Still a busy road at 10 metres represents quite a noise level, certainly enough to irritate if you could hear it. However, human hearing at 80 dB (SPL) also drops by 40 dB in sensitivity between a 1 kHz signal and a 10 Hz signal, which would take the equivalent noise down from the busy road to someone talking quietly at 1 metre away from you. Again, that could still be very irritating.

However, I do not see how it could have been a real noise signal and would wish to know how they measured it and how they checked that their sound-level meter (if that was what they used) was not spuriously being affected by the strength of the GSM signal (an EMC issue, not a real sound pressure).

In the past I have carried out infra-sound measurements and investigations. The worst and most irritating were sub-20 Hz ones from motorway road noise about 1 km away from a house. We cured that by using acoustic drapes and padding the furniture and changing to thick lined curtains and thick carpets with good underlay. That stopped the problem (the people had thought it was EMF related noise). The husband was a retired professor of mechanical engineering, so he was very interested in my results, conclusions and effective cure.

It, yet again, points to the need for us to gather as many reports from people who believe that they are being affected by nearby masts and try to see what patterns emerge and what are the main and minor causes of irritation / effects on well-being. We do need to keep an open mind (both for and against different effects).