Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - RF issues in school

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

RF issues in school

Post Time: 20/04/2009 10:42:32
Jayne Papworth
Total Forum Posts: 23
Hi Alasdair

Still trying to get a full understanding on the technical side of all the possible RF sources my children could be affected by at school and what is the worst offender in terms of exposure/ health impact so I can priortise my work to get them removed.

At the school in question (and posibly typical of many I guess) there are:

a) 3 monopole masts nearby (one 127m away, one approx 300m away, one approx 450m away)

b) 10 WiFi routers, one of which I have unfortunately found out is in my son's classroom

c) possibly DECT phones but dont know for sure yet

d) think they have interactive wireless whiteboards too

e) I guess the teachers will probably have mobile phones switched on in their bags too!

Would it be possible to explain for each of the above:

1. Whether each of the above are emitting radiation constantly and at what approx reading levels?
2. At what sort of levels/ distances could the effects be felt
3. What practical steps could I suggest to the school/ local authority to deal with each to minimise exposure of the children

Also is there a document which explains all the technical stuff about them all simply? Something titled RF hazards in schools would be wonderful if you had one!

Thanks so much once again

J

Post Time: 23/04/2009 22:31:22
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Jayne
I will respond here to your questions as soon as I can.

For now, have you seen this site: http://www.wiredchild.org/

Alasdair
Post Time: 24/04/2009 07:20:56
Jayne Papworth
Okay Alasdair, and thankyou.

Jayne
Post Time: 29/05/2009 14:38:25
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
a) 3 monopole masts nearby (one 127m away, one approx 300m away, one approx 450m away).

Difficult to give a precise answer without a lot more details, but it is likely they are providing a fairl continuous background EMF pollution of between about 0.1 and 0.5 volts per metre. You would need to measure it to get an accurate picture. Signal levels in V/m falls off roughly inversely with distance so it is likely (depending on the transmitted powers!) that the nearest mast dominates the readings. At 127 metres distance the exposure should be checked as the classrooms and playgrounds may be in the main beam.

b) 10 WiFi routers, one of which I have unfortunately found out is in my son's classroom

These are likely to be the major source, at least in the classrooms that have active access points. See:
www.powerwatch.org.uk/news/20070529_panorama_extra.asp

c) possibly DECT phones but don't know for sure yet.

Only significant close to the main base-units. Should not be a significant problem for the children.

d) think they have interactive wireless whiteboards too

Usually use Bluetooth and so do not produce much radiation. You can get fully wired systems, but most schools go for the wireless ones. They should be properly turned off when not in use. Initially, they were the latest education gizmo, but longer-term follow up does not seem to show that they help the children achieve any better. Possibly due to lack of suitable material and teacher training. They probably have a limited-use place in schools.

e) I guess the teachers will probably have mobile phones switched on in their bags too!

So will many of the children, even though many schools attempt to ban them, most secondary pupils now carry one and a surprisingly large number of upper-year primary children do to. I would hope that teachers would have theirs turned off in class when teaching.
Post Time: 31/05/2009 21:00:39
Jayne Papworth
Thanks for this Alasdair.

As the majority of schools in the area unfortunately have WiFi, what is your advice on protective clothing. I am considering underwear perhaps as a starter as am not sure how feasible the full uniform would be.