© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Alice

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Alice

Post Time: 21/04/2009 13:51:53
Alice Burnett
Total Forum Posts: 3
Hi. I would like to install solar PV tiles (see http://www.solarcentury.co.uk/PV-Installers/Products/C21e/C21e-Solar-electric-roof-tiles-slates )on the roof of my house and wondered if there were any health risks associated with generating electricity like this. Many thanks.
Post Time: 23/04/2009 22:20:19
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
The solar tiles do not pose a health risk. The batteries need to be carefully handled and disposed of when they need replacing. The inverter (which you will need to use if you want to run normal mains voltage electrical equipment) gives off EMFs and should be located away from bed and sitting areas. Also, I would strongly advise a sine-wave inverter - cheap ones produce sharp-sided square or rectangular waveforms and lots of harmonics - these are thought to be much more likely to produce adverse health effects "= dirty electricity").

Personally, I would connect the cells and batteries to run a low-voltage DC lighting system. This could also provide DC power directly to most modern electronic equipment. Then I would use mains (or and inverter supply if you have masses of solar cells) just for washing machine and a few large items which are not available to run off 12 or 24 or 48 volts DC. I would certainly use a DC refrigerator. The only items run off an inverter should be ones that run for short periods during the day, and then the inverter should be turned off and night.

I don't know where you live, but I suggest that you do think about the power figures carefully. They claim 8 sq metres for 1 kWpeak at 1000W/m2 sun energy arriving. That is full sun on a clear-sky hot summers day. Generally you would be better assuming more like half that as a commonish maximum in the summer in the UK. So about 16 m2 (4 metres by 4 metres of solar cells!) just to get a regular 1 kW. On their website they say 830 kWh per 8m2 (their 1 kWpeak) on a south facing roof. That is about one-fifth of the electricity use in a typical UK house not allowing for space-heating. 830 kWh costs about £110 (GBP) per year at present at full day-rate price. That will rise, but what is the installed cost of 8 m2 of their cells plus batteries and control gear? The batteries will also need replacing every few years (whatever they say). I am not trying to put you off, but solar water panels should be a first step and gives a much better payback time and CO2 reduction and PV electricity definitely a second step, in my opinion. By all means do both if you can afford it and have the south-ish facing roof area.

Alasdair
Post Time: 23/04/2009 22:57:29
Alice Burnett
Dear Alasdair,
Many thanks for your considered and helpful reply. I take what you say about effectiveness on board. The Eden Project told me that their solar PV panels were a bit of a disappointment and this is for a vast area and Cornish climate. I certainly plan to install solar hot water either alone or with PV. Living in sunny Wandsworth there is hope...!
Thanks again.
Alice
Post Time: 26/04/2009 09:14:27
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Alice
In which case I would suggest that you consider choosing one or two tiles (via a simple voltage/current regulator - easy to do - to charge a suitable 6 or 12 volt battery) and mount them on a wooden board facing South(-ish) and use this to power 6 or 12 DC lighting in your house (motorbike or car bulbs or 12 volt halogens). Maybe do this for a year to see exactly how they do perform at relatively little cost.

That would give you a much better feel for what they could do. I don't know how practical you are, but the task isn't that difficult. I could give you some tips.
Alasdair
Post Time: 28/04/2009 13:06:59
Alice Burnett
Alasdair,
I will look into this, thank you!
Alice