© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Underfloor Heating

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Underfloor Heating

Post Time: 23/04/2009 11:47:44
helsbells
Total Forum Posts: 7
I am sure i saw somewhere on here that this is no good thing re EMFs but can't find it - could someone direct me? Apologies if it is staring me in the face I suffer quite badly with brain fog. I am going to see a flat for rent on Sat but have just noticed it says underfloor heating althuough it gives no details of type. I am electrically sensitive - can use computers watch TVS, text etc BUT not use wireless or talk on mobiles, use earphones etc.

cheers
Helen
Post Time: 23/04/2009 22:29:19
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Sorry, but there is no simple answer - that is why it isn't easy to find out. It may be underfloor hot-water pipe heating, in which case no EMF problems.

If it is underfloor electric heating, then it will depend on what system was installed and how it was connected. You can get special shielded twin heating cables that gives off virtually no EMFs at all. They are great.

However, the cheaper cables (and more often used) are single wires and are looped about around the floor area and can give off enormous magnetic fields. The only way to tell is to get the heating turned up full and then measure the magnetic fields with a suitable meter (e.g. the EMFieldsPro meter available for hire for www.emfields.org). These single cables also give rise to high electric fields on the floor.

If you really like the flat, then I suggest you go back and measure the fields next week. It may be fine, but may well not be. Measuring is the only way to find out in any particular case.

Best of luck!
Alasdair