© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Radar

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Radar

Post Time: 28/04/2009 13:48:51
jo2
Total Forum Posts: 19
Please could I ask a question about radar/racon (coming from ships/lighthouse). The radar pulses seem very strong. However, by draping some shielding fabric over the meter, the radar pulses seem to be blocked fairly easily - certainly more easily than a signal of a similar strength but a different type, eg mobiles or TETRA.

I was wondering if this rough experiment is likely to be giving me an accurate impression of the ease of shielding radar - or, perhaps because 3G and radar tend to under-measure, the remaining signal after shielding is still significant, but is just not being picked up (I was using an eHFE35C)?

Would you know from your experiences how harmful radar is to EHS people, relative to other types of signal, and if radar pulses are going to be easier to cope with, or easier to shield? I know from experience that if mobile phones or TETRA were measuring as high as the radar pulses, it would be very bad for the EHS person in the family and quite challenging to shield.

The other thing I noticed is that the signal strength of the radar pulses varies greatly within a few feet of distance. I was just wondering if it is the nature of radar to have 'hot spots' and 'quiet spots', or is it more likely to be a quirk of my measurements?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Post Time: 30/06/2009 23:46:16
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
if this isnt too late, yes your tests are a good idea and will give you a good indication. All microwave signals tend to have high spots and low spots within short distances. They eHFE35C will almost certainly under-measure radar signals which are generally over 2.5 GHz and very fast-edged pulses. However, any reduction will be likely to be relative, so if you measured a 50-fold reduction then that is the likely level of reduction you will be achieving, even if the absolute levels are being under-registered.
Post Time: 04/08/2009 08:19:54
Mikko
Total Forum Posts: 17
I collected some radar related research papers:

- Radar + FM / AM Radio + TV
http://www.uta.fi/~mikko.ahonen/riski-extra.htm#RadioTVRadar

- Occupational exposure to radar etc
http://www.uta.fi/~mikko.ahonen/riski-extra.htm#Occupational

Radar is especially problematic in the coast line. Additionally, those weather and airport radars have also a long range in the inland. Like Alasdair you mentioned, measuring radar signal is trickier than GSM / 3G / Tetra. Robert has lately measured quite a lot radar in Sweden, you might find now or later on some interesting results in http://www.mobilsmog.se.