© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - ideas for protection

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

ideas for protection

Post Time: 14/05/2009 06:03:16
Linda
Total Forum Posts: 15
I wrote the "Another mobile tower issue" below which hasn't been answered yet.

What do you think about the following ideas/options? They come from a physicist friend - he was trying to help me out.

For ways to reduce exposure to rays from the nearby tower for my child while he is sleeping:

1) Ask a carpenter friend to make a bedhead for my child's bed. Make sure it is a sealed hollow bedhead with a lead sheet inside. Because lead can oxidise, it is important that the box/bedhead be sealed. Lead is dense, so will block the rays.

2) Buy/create a huge wallhanging that will cover the wall of my child's bedroom (the wall facing the tower). Behind the wallhanging I could attach a couple of layers of commercial aluminium foil, OR I could purchase a lead sheet (how to encase it tho?). My friend went on to say that the protective vests worn by radiologists in hospitals would be ideal (if I had enough of them, or just attached them to my child's bedhead somehow).

Linda
Post Time: 23/05/2009 21:38:57
marg5hatesmasts
Hi Linda,

I am not with Powerwatch. I have had problems with nearby phone mast and I have had to adopt screening measures myself.

Have you downloaded and read a copy of the book
'Radiofrequency Protection for you and your family' by Alasdair & Jean Philips
which is available in its updated version for Powerwatch subscribers? You can find it in the subscriber area. The file is zipped and you will need to unzip it.

I do not know what expense you would want to consider.

The cheapest form of screening material for walls is aluminium foil - get the catering quality - but bear in mind the need to EARTH the foil. This is because
the foil can pick up electrical fields from house wiring.
Or try radiator foil - but you need to EARTH it.

My suggestions are:
1 If you haven't got an Electrosmog Detector or an Acousticom that you get one.
2 If you want to shield your child specifically when sleeping that you look for further information about:

Electrocloth material
Swiss Shield netting

I found that the phone mast radiation was coming in through the windows, walls and the roof and ceiling.

I initially shielded my windows with Swiss Shield [grey] netting.
Later, i replaced the plain glass windows with Pilkington K glass windows.
I covered the windows and frame with the Swiss Shield because some radiation was coming through the frame.
After further masts were installed nearby the levels increased and I became more sensitive to the radiation and took measures to directly shield my bed.

I added Electrocloth material under the mattress and a Swiss Shield canopy over my bed [earthed]. Since the neighbour recently put in a DECT cordless phone and WiFi [BT Home Hub] the situation has worsened again. It has necessitated the addition of a top bedsheet of Electrocloth.

Look at the EMFields shop for the costs.

I am very badly affected by a local phone mast.
Yes phone masts are bad - but DECT phones produce a lot of radiation - does your neighbour have a DECT phone or wifi? A point also to cheeck out with a meter.

You might try ringing EMFields after you have read up Alasdair and Jean Phillips information on shielding in their book.

Regards,
Margaret

Post Time: 26/05/2009 10:43:47
Sarahp
Total Forum Posts: 48
Hi both

We (EMFields) sell SwissTULLE silver bobbinet material, also Chromax and Electrocloth. These are all suitable for screening windows. I'd recommend YShield paint for the wall if your budget is up to it, else as Margaret has suggested, catering strength aluminium foil is a good alternative, making sure it's earthed.

We also sell (although it's not on the website yet) windowfilm which attaches to your windows - you can install it yourself, or have it fitted. As the majority of the signal from a nearby mast would get in through the windows this is probably one of the most effective screening methods.

I wouldn't use lead - although good at screening, there are other health implications - better to use materials specifically designed for the purpose.

Sarah
Post Time: 28/05/2009 02:13:34
Linda
Dear Marg and Sarah
Thanks so much your replies are very very much appreciated.
Best wishes, Linda
Post Time: 03/06/2009 07:58:45
Linda
Hello again

Sorry, but I forgot to ask how to earth the foil. The house I am in is going to be sold (probably at this point) in 6-8 weeks, so I thought the temporary measure with foil would be better than nothing. I've been busy with essays etc, so it's only now that I can take the time to work on this. If I attach the foil to my child's bedroom wall (or to the back of a hanging which covers the area of the wall where his head & body are), then how to I earth it?

I would love to buy an Electrosmog Detector or an Acousticom - but I saw somewhere that Alastair (he wrote this) said the device(s) was/ere having problems picking up 3G signals, so I was a bit doubtful about its/their reliability (sorry - I just did read that somewhere on this site while browsing...again, too busy to find it now, but can if people are wondering about it.....).

I'll be moving house soon & will be renting, so I suppose I should measure the levels at any potantial flats before I sign the dotted line.....

thanks for everyone's help.... :)
Linda
Post Time: 03/06/2009 09:11:25
Sarahp
We believe that earthing in bedrooms is not always a good idea - as you may pick up electric fields from the wiring beneath the floor, and make the electric fields higher. It's only worth earthing if you know for a fact (you've measured) that you are already getting high electric fields where you've put the foil.

If you do decide to earth the foil, here's our earthing instructions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Earthing wire instructions

To earth a canopy or the screening paint with a piece of ordinary wire, decide which of the 2 options, below, suit your situation best. Cut a piece of ordinary wire to the desired length. It is advisable that the wire be as short as possible to avoid anyone pulling it off. Remove the plastic sheath covering the wire at both ends.
Which of the 2 options below that you choose will depend on the layout of your room.

1.As near as possible to, or even behind, an earth-bonded radiator.
Most radiators are bonded to the house earth. Some modern radiator systems have plastic pipe sections for the water to flow in, rather than copper pipes. These systems will not be bonded to the house earth as the plastic pipe will break the link. If you are not sure whether your system is earth bonded, or you know that it is not, use the second option (2. below).
Fix the bare metal strands of one end of the wire to the paint to be earthed, or weave them through the mesh of the bed canopy material, and tape in place. Fix the metal strands of the wire, and the adjacent part of the plastic sheath, at the other end to a metal part of the radiator. Scrape off a little paint to bare the metal if necessary. Ordinary tape can be used to fix the wire, but it will need to be checked occasionally to see that it is still adhering well, and be replaced as necessary.
2.As near as possible to a mains socket.
When one end of the wire is firmly stuck to the surface to be earthed or woven firmly into the material and taped in place, attach the other end of the wire to the earth pin of an ordinary 3-pin plug (see the diagram). Plug it in to the socket of choice. The switch does not need to be in the ‘on’ position for the earth contact to be made. You can attach it to the earth pin of a plug that is already being used to power an appliance.
The loop around the cable grip is to physically protect the screw connection if the wire is accidentally pulled or tugged.
The earthing wire must ONLY go to the earthing pin. Connection to either of the other pins would be hazardous. Ensure the wire is firmly clamped in place by the cable grip so that the insulation will not rub off with time if the wire is regularly disturbed. If you are unsure how to do this safely, ask an electrician for advice.

Alternatively, the earthing wire can be wired into the earthing terminal at the back of the socket by an electrician, who will do it in such a way as to conform with Part P IET wiring regulations.
Post Time: 04/06/2009 03:46:28
Linda
Thanks so much, Sarah.

Do you think it's a good idea that I buy an Electrosmog Detector or an Acousticom (especially as I will have to find a house to rent soon & also will move in & out of rented housing in the future & will need to check levels for my 5 yr old's safety)? I still haven't taken the time to find the place where Alastair wrote he was having problems with picking up 3G signals...(do you know where on this site he wrote that?). I am in Australia & we have 3G mobile towers.
Thanks,
Linda
Post Time: 08/06/2009 11:46:01
Sarahp
Hi Linda

It's worth picking up an instrument certainly if you have concerns. Which one to buy really depends on your budget - the MW1 electrosmog detector is the cheapest, and is still a very good instrument. If your budget and timescale permits, you could consider waiting for the Acoustimeter (available for hire soon, and for sale in a couple of months if all goes well!) which will be £279 to buy.
Post Time: 16/06/2009 09:31:24
Linda
Hi again Sarah

Well, my budget is v small right now as I am studying, not working.
If I just buy the MW1 electrosmog detector, is this the idea behind that?: eg if I turn it on & it is noisy (i.e it detects electrosmog), then that could tell me to move my childs bed to a different place in the room, for example? Or I could put aluminium foil up on the wall, then use the detector & if it is quiet, then I would know that an improvement has been made?
Does this instrument detect house wiring electrosmog? Would it give me some idea about e.g where to put my childs bed if his bed were too near inside wall wiring....? Or if I earthed the foil & the detector was noisy, then that would indicate the foil had to be taken down/not earthed?
Hope that makes sense.
Once I have a job (from the beginning of next year I expect)things will be different financially for me. I am probably moving house in the next 2 weeks, but Id still like an instrument...then I could check the new place etc.

Thanks for your help
Linda
Post Time: 23/06/2009 09:47:31
Sarahp
the electrosmog detector picks up radiofrequency (microwaves) only, not electric/magnetic fields from your house wiring. The volume is an indicator of the signal strength its picking up - and earthing foil will make no difference to radiofrequency blocking (it will block RF fields whether earthed or not).

You can use it to detect "hot spots" for shielding, also to help work out where the signal is coming from, and to see how effective screening is once its in place (the sound will drop dramatically if screened well)