- Mobile phones
   - Phone masts
   - Powerlines

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

- Liability disclaimer -
- Privacy policy -
- Cookies policy -
© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - URGENT: is wi-fi that bad short term?

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

URGENT: is wi-fi that bad short term?

Post Time: 22/06/2009 08:30:17
Linda
Total Forum Posts: 15
Hi again

I wonder if Sarah (or someone?) can answer me ASAP? I have got myself into a fix...I agreed to share a house with a friend who is health-conscious & aware of health issues with wi-fi, but she has just let it slip that the house has no physical phone cable & that we will have to use wi-fi internet. I have to give her confirmation about my moving in ASAP.

I have a 5 year old boy & am concerned for him. The lease would only be for 6 months (but could perhaps run on). My friend runs a home business & has a website & needs internet access for this. I imagine shed work late through the night on the net while our children are sleeping. She said that shed turn off the wi-fi when she had finished for the night, but I imagine she works most of the weekend too.

I might buy a MW1 electrosmog detector (I cant afford an Acoustimeter right now & cant hire one as I live in Australia)...I dont know if that would help me work out how I could protect my childs bedroom from the wi-fi if she is working on the computer through the wall...??

I can easily tell her I wont move in, if thats the best idea? She was going to move into this house even if she had no one else to share with, so thats no problem. But she does need my answer tomorrow (Tuesday Australia time).

Thanks!

Linda

P.S Please answer this too (from an earlier post)?:
If I just buy the MW1 electrosmog detector, is this the idea behind that?: eg if I turn it on & it is noisy (i.e it detects electrosmog), then that could tell me to move my childs bed to a different place in the room, for example? Or I could put aluminium foil up on the wall, then use the detector & if it is quiet, then I would know that an improvement has been made?
Does this instrument detect house wiring electrosmog? Would it give me some idea about e.g where to put my childs bed if his bed were too near inside wall wiring....? Or if I earthed the foil & the detector was noisy, then that would indicate the foil had to be taken down/not earthed?
Hope that makes sense.
Post Time: 23/06/2009 09:42:52
Sarahp
Total Forum Posts: 48
Ive replied to your email directly, Linda.

dLANs may be your answer - safer, quicker, and more secure than wifi. They use your houses electrical circuit to transmit the signal.
Post Time: 30/06/2009 23:16:01
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
I dont understand "no physical phone cable & we will have to use wi-fi internet". Does your area have (free?) Wi-Fi that anyone can log into? Usually the internet connection comes into the house on a phone cable or a TV cable system cable, then goes through a modem (or more securely a router) and is then connected by ethernet wires or by a Wi-Fi link to your computer(s).

Either your area must have an external Wi-Fi service, in which case it will only be your friends laptop in the house that is transmitting (best not right next to your sons wall), or she has a mobile phone internet connection which is like having her mobile phone on all the time she is connected to the internet (nasty).

Wiring EMFs are measured with different meters, but as long as your sons bed is not right next to sockets or plug-top transformers, then he will not normally be exposed to high power-frequency fields. It is possible, especially if there are undetected faults in the house wiring, but fairly unlikely.
Post Time: 02/07/2009 08:13:44
Linda
Hi Alasdair
Thanks for your reply.
I have agreed to move into the house but still havent moved in as I havent had time to move (!). However, I have emailed my friend and asked her how her wifi internet works. I will copy & paste her brief reply at the end.
It seems there actually *is* a broadband connection through the phone line available at the house, but she uses wifi (although she does say she is worried about radiation). Soo...I have no idea why she would use wifi if there is a safer alternative. I will ask her soon (perhaps its tied up with her contract with the phone company?).
Ironically I am moving out of a house near a mobile tower (300 metres or less) to a beautiful country area prized as the best area around here (million dollar properties etc), yet from the new house you can see a massive mobile tower in the distance on a hill breaking the skyline....(maybe 1 kilometre away?).

I *assumed* there was no broadband connection from the new house because in this area many houses out of town have very old phone lines (so that even dial-up is slower than normal...some houses share the same line - not quite sure how it works). But it seems there *is* a decent phoneline from the new house...I will have to check it out, of course, just to see if that is true.

This is my friends reply. It seems her wifi must work through satellite (? Alastair, do you think this is how it would work? And if so, would a dLAN not be appropriate in that case?
Thanks, Linda

Friends reply:
My modem is totally wireless, just plugs into an electicity socket for power. So I assume its satellite?

There is a broadband plug in both the house and the studio for broadband connection through the phone line, but i dont use that now that I have wifi.
Post Time: 03/07/2009 00:31:45
Linda
Hi Alasdair
My friend said she is locked into a 3 year contract with Telstra (in Australia) for wifi - there would be a financial penalty were she to change to broadband. Unfortunately the lease on the house (rental) is only for 6 months, so she/we might have to move yet again, in which case she would possibly need to change back to wifi again (were she to change to broadband now & then depending where her next place of abode will be). There is a housing shortage in this area (in Australia in general) so things are difficult for renters.
Thanks, Linda

Are you able to tell if her wifi works via satellite from what she described? Or should I find out more information? If it *is* satellite, would dLAN be the solution (sorry...Im completely ignorant about this area of knowledge...In a few weeks I will have more time to improve my knowledge a bit more)?