- Mobile phones
   - Phone masts
   - Powerlines

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

- Liability disclaimer -
- Privacy policy -
- Cookies policy -
© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - New technology - wireless electricity or Witricity - implications

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

New technology - wireless electricity or Witricity - implications

Post Time: 12/08/2009 11:52:25
jo2
Total Forum Posts: 19
Ive seen some news reports recently about a new technology for transmitting electricity wirelessly, by a company called Witricity. This would be used to supply power to household items, starting with things like mobile phones and moving on over time to TVs and electric cars. I think the estimate for commercially avaialble technology for charging phones is about 18 months away.

The basic way it works, as I understand it, is to connect a coil to the power supply, and another coil to the item to be charged, and the power travels between them, creating/using a magnetic field with a wavelength of 30 metres.

I am very concerned about this! The Witricity website states that metal walls would interfere with the tramission process, but I thought that magnetic fields were incredibly hard to block, except with very expensive materials that had to be professionally fitted in sealed sections.

This makes me think that the only way to avoid the effects of neighbours using this technology is sheer distance?

I was wondering if anybody knew more? Ive tried to research on the internet, but facts are hard to pin down. The questions that worry me are -

How strong will the generated magnetic fields be?

Will they be generated all the time, or will it vary with what is being charged?

Is there any way to block them?

If not, how far away would you have to be, to be below 0.2 microtesla, as recommended?

It looks like there might be yet another technology to worry about!