© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Digital Switchover

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Digital Switchover

Post Time: 13/09/2009 21:16:09
Jayne Papworth
Total Forum Posts: 23
I understand the digital switchover will have an impact on the levels of microwaves in the air but do not understand it enough to know to what extent there will be an effect.

How much stronger will the signals be compared to those we have now? Will it mean everyone will have to think about screening houses even if they are sheltered from masts?

Please can you advise.

Thanks

JP
Post Time: 26/09/2009 18:42:32
mw.healthworks
Total Forum Posts: 5
I live in Totnes (which switched over in April 2009) and my son is already experiencing heart palpitations and sleeplessness from the new digital transmitter which is about 6 kms away with a direct line of sight with the mast.I have been advised that the new transmitter is emitting a significant increase in pulsed EMR's compared to the old analogue transmitter.I would also like to know more about the danger this poses as there is little or no information on the subject.This is potentially a very serious problem as the whole country will soon be digital.Also does anyone know why this swithover had to take place at all?

Thanks,

Nigel Woodward
Post Time: 30/09/2009 22:27:42
mw.healthworks
Just to add that since the last post my wife has experienced exactly the same symptoms at this flat.I urgently would therefore like to know what we can do to deal with this problem.

Thanks,

Nigel Woodward
Post Time: 01/10/2009 20:32:11
marg5hatesmasts
Total Forum Posts: 15
We have been receiving digital TV from Winter Hill and i too have had problems with sleeping and skin problems for nearly a year now. Soon the analogue signals will disappear from Winter Hill.

I draw your attention to this letter that is available on the Internet.
'Warning Against Adverse Health Effects from the Operation of Digital Broadcast
Television Stations (DVB-T)'.
These German medical doctors - Dr. Cornelia Waldmann Selsam, Dr. Christine Aschermann and Dr. Markus Kern - have complained to the German government about health problems associated with digital television.

They have also sent an Open Letter [February 2009]to President Obama, The House of Representatives, Members of the Senate and the Citizens of the USA.
Look up this title on Internet.
'Warning Against Adverse Health Effects from the Operation of Digital Broadcast
Television Stations (DVB-T)'.
You can find this Open Letter at numerous sites including here as a PDF file:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/12548638/Warning-Against-Adverse-Health-Effects-From-the-Operation-of-Digital-Broadcast

I quote "In the US, digital broadcast television is scheduled to start operating on February 17, 2009. We write to you today because we wish to save you from the significant negative health consequences that have occurred here in Germany.
In Germany, analog broadcast television stations have gradually been switching to digital broadcast signals since 2003. This switchover first took place in metropolitan areas. In those areas, however, the RF exposures in public places as well as at home continued to increase at the same time. As a result, the continuing declining health status of children, adolescents, and adults in urban areas could not be attributed to any single cause.
On May 20, 2006, two digital broadcast television stations went on the air in the Hessian Rhoen area (Heidelstein, Kreuzberg), which until recently had enjoyed rather low mobile phone radiation exposure levels. Within a radius of more than 20 km, the following symptoms that occurred abruptly were reported:

constant headaches, pressure in the head, drowsiness, sleep problems, inability to think clearly, forgetfulness, nervous tensions, irritability, tightness in the chest, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, depressive mood, total apathy, loss of empathy, burning skin, inner burning, leg weakness, pain in the limbs, stabbing pain in various organs, weight increase

Birds had fled the area. Cats had turned phlegmatic and hardly ever went into the garden.
One child committed suicide; a second child tried doing it.
Over time the same unbearable symptoms showed up in other locations—most recently in Bamberg and Aschaffenburg on November 25, 2008. Physicians accompanied affected people to areas where there was no DVB-T reception (valleys, behind mountain ranges) and witnessed how these people became symptom-free only after a short period of time.
"Real life teaches us that it was wrong to simplify. In Germany, we see strong evidence of a direct temporal association between the start-up of terrestrial digital broadcast television and the occurrence of severe health symptoms."
"Satellites and cable provide the US population with television services. By contrast, the risk associated with terrestrial digital broadcast television transmitters is unacceptable."

"We, therefore, ask you, dear Mr. President, who has the wellbeing of his citizens at heart, to stop the scheduled introduction of this new technology in the United States of America and to save the people from the negative health consequences that have occurred in our country."

Margaret
Post Time: 03/10/2009 19:44:54
mw.healthworks
When did you start receiving digital signals from Winter Hill as your switchover is not scheduled until November.I have now had a full professional survey undertaken at my property at Totnes which confirms that we are now being subject to a major increase in pulsed digital radiation compared to the amount we were receiving from the mobile phone transmitter.For example readings in certain places has increased from 15 to 90 microwatts/m2 as a result of the digital switchover which is far too high for comfort.Comments please.
Post Time: 04/10/2009 12:54:03
marg5hatesmasts
Hello Healthworks,
I found this on the Wikipedia website about the Winter Hill Transmitter.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Hill_transmitting_station]
Regards,
Margaret
---------------

WINTER HILL
OUTPUT
TELEVISION
ANALOGUE TELEVISION
Overall, the Winter Hill Transmitting Station broadcasts television signals on a total of 14 UHF frequencies using horizontal (H) polarisation. Aerial Group C/D. As with UK standards, the analogue television is output 625 line PAL, with NICAM stereo sound. Analogue channels 1-4 broadcast at 500 kW ERP. Five broadcasts at 12.5 kW ERP.

UHF 55 - BBC One North West
UHF 62 - BBC Two
UHF 59 - ITV1 Granada
UHF 65 - Channel 4
UHF 48 - Five

DIGITAL TELEVISION
DTT transmissions are also carried from the site, and have been since 1998. Multiplexes 1, 2, B, C and D broadcast at 10 kW, while multiplex A (SDN / Five) broadcasts at 5 kW. As of 2006, a test transmission of a new multiplex (rumoured to accommodate a trial of BBC HD, however still unconfirmed) fluctuates broadcasting on UHF 50 at a lower power. [1] The provider name carried on multiplex itself reads "NGW", National Grid Wireless.

UHF 56 - Multiplex 1 - BBC
UHF 66 - Multiplex 2 - Digital 3&4
UHF 68 - Multiplex A - S4C Digital Networks
UHF 67 - Multiplex B - BBC
UHF 60 - Multiplex C - National Grid Wireless
UHF 63 - Multiplex D - National Grid Wireless
also

UHF 43 - Multiplex C - National Grid Wireless - to accommodate reception blindspots in the East
UHF 40 - Multiplex D - National Grid Wireless - to accommodate reception blindspots in the East
UHF 50 - Trial Multiplex - National Grid Wireless, BBC
Frequency planning for DTT from Winter Hill proved difficult and it was not possible for two of the 6 main channels to cover enough of the target area. Two of Winter Hills MUXES (on CH60 and 63) are co-channel with Llanddona in North Wales see frequency table. As a consequence these two frequencies are not transmitted towards the West/South West and Ll Multiplexes C & D are therefore broadcast on two two different frequencies from 2 sets of more directional aerials, known as Winter Hill B. The duplicated copy (at UHF 43 and 40 respectively) acts as a filler for the area which the first pair could not cover. The network label carried on the HD Trial Multiplex also reads "Winter Hill B". Although CH40 and 43 are not technically within Winter Hill's original C/D group they should still be picked up on a C/D aerial see graph.

This temporary complication will come to an end with Digital Switchover, where more suitable frequencies can be used to accommodate both multiplexes to the entire region, plus the overall power of digital transmissions will be increased greatly.

As principal transmitter for the Granada region, in 2009 the Winter Hill station will become the first in the UK to broadcast digital television in High Definition.[3][4]

RADIO
FM
BBC Radio 1: 98.2 MHz†
BBC Radio 2: 88.6 MHz†
BBC Radio 3: 90.8 MHz†
BBC Radio 4: 93.0 MHz†
BBC Radio Lancashire: 103.9 MHz
Rock FM: 97.4 MHz
Smooth FM: 100.4 MHz
Real Radio: 105.4 MHz
† Relays the signal from Holme Moss to cover South and Central Lancashire

DAB
CE Manchester: 11C (CE Manchester broadcasts from a directional aerial to cover Greater Manchester)
Digital One Network: 11D
EMAP Central Lancashire: 12A (EMAP Central Lancashire broadcasts from a directional aerial to cover Central Lancashire (Wigan, Preston, Southport, Blackpool and surrounding areas))
BBC National DAB: 12B
MXR North West: 12C
Post Time: 05/10/2009 20:54:17
mw.healthworks
Hi Margaret,

What this is telling me is that the overall power of digital transmissions will be increased greatly on or probably before digital switchover time.I would be interested to hear if your symptoms have got any worse recently.Other people in your area have already noticed changes I have been informed by Tony Bird.

I noticed from your previous posting that the German system uses something called Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex Modulation.Is this similar to the system used in the UK?

Regards,Nigel.
Post Time: 06/10/2009 21:42:19
marg5hatesmasts
Hi Nigel,

Yes. I noticed sleeping got worse around January/February. By April, I was desperate to get away because of skin irritation and sleeping difficulties. The electrosensitivity symptoms have definitely got worse recently. Particularly the prickling of skin. Someone that I spoke to living a few miles away mentioned earlier this year that 'something has definitely changed in the environment'.
Sorry, I am not able to answer the technical question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_frequency-division_multiplexing used by the German digital television.

Alasdair, what is it.
Regards,
Margaret