© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - MW1 picks up loud signal from laptop

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

MW1 picks up loud signal from laptop

Post Time: 01/12/2009 03:18:45
Linda
Total Forum Posts: 15
Sorry, I know this was answered somewhere else.
I live in Australia. My laptop always runs off power because its battery has run out. The plug for the laptop has 3 prongs. My new MW1 picks up a wifi signal from the screen and keyboard. I have the wifi button off on the laptop. In my network connections there is a wifi connection which is disabled. I highlighted it & tried to delete it, but it can't be deleted. How do I get rid of it in the software?
Sorry, a basic question, but I do not have detailed computer knowledge & I don't have a science background either, so I struggle with this field.

Thanks
Linda
Post Time: 01/12/2009 17:28:08
Linda
Total Forum Posts: 15
P.S
The reason I am confused (part from general ignorance!) is that my mains plug has 3 prongs & what information I have read here explains that an earthing lead can be added to a laptop that has only 2 prongs (in Australia all the mains plugs have 3 prongs). So it seems I don't need an earthing lead? A computer shop told me that the mains plug was already earthed.
So do I need to ring HP to ask how to disable my wireless card in my laptop? I have XP & my laptop is old - around the year 2000. I deleted a disabled wireless connection by going into control panel - systems.

Later:
Well, I *think* I disabled the wirefree card/hardware. Need to check this. But then I used the MW1 again when the broadband (a cabled modem - 2 laptops are connected to the modem) was on & realised that the wifi signal is coming from the modem & carried to the laptop & ketboard. I switched off the modem & no wifi signal from the laptop.....
Not having a technical background, this is v mysterious. But I have an inkling I can somehow switch off the wifi aspect of the modem (so that it still works as a modem for the broadband Internet through the phoneline....that was the aim). I think I know someone who can tell me about this. I will report back if I get to the bottom of it.