© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Games consoles

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Games consoles

Post Time: 23/01/2010 13:22:41
WRGE2000
Total Forum Posts: 13
In a bid to try and balance a busy office job, I would like to purchase a games console. Does anyone know if the modern consoles emit much EMF? How 'noisy' is the MW1 when placed near a PlaystationIII, X-box or Nintendo Wii? To what degree can this wireless activity be disabled in each of these machines?

Regards,

William
Post Time: 06/02/2010 12:19:06
Mikko
Total Forum Posts: 17
Hi William

Electric fields are quite high with (pocket) game consoles , when they are connected to a charger. Today I measured in Nintendo DSi a value of 250 V/m where the hands are, when the console is charging. When I unplugged the DSi from the charger the electric field dropped to 15 V/m So, it is better to play with it when it is fully charged and unplugged ;-)

In our DSi the Wi-Fi connection is alway off-line. I don't let my children play multiplayer games. I have asked Nintendo, why they don't provide USB-multiplayer option. No answer :-

BTW, I am also interested about Playstation, X-box and Wii readings (measurement values). Please, if you have those devices and a meter, let us know.

Cheers

Mikko - http://beyondcreativity.blogs.com
Post Time: 13/02/2010 19:10:05
WRGE2000
Total Forum Posts: 13
Mikko,

thanks for your reply. What equipment are you using to measure? It sounds as if you are measuring for ELF. Are you sure there are no microwaves coming from the DSi?

Regards,

William
Post Time: 06/07/2010 21:01:58
AndrewCohen
Total Forum Posts: 14
Playstations and Xbox can be terrible for RF - probably ok if UNPLUGGED other than when you are actually using them.

Wiis are just like a WiFi connection.

Nintendo DS seems ok even when playing two player games (one player one console does not give off RF). Don't use while re-charging. Otherwise seem to measure OK ELF and RF-wise.

Alasdair