© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - The hum

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

The hum

Post Time: 07/07/2010 22:07:30
WRGE2000
Total Forum Posts: 13
I'm quite sure that I can hear the 'hum' described on the Emfields website. It sounds like a very faint morse-code, or like the noise that the early computer cassettes used to make. At first I thought it was the sound of water but it is audible even with ear-plugs. As my bedroom has already been painted with y-shield, I was wondering whether the presence of this noise points to insufficient shielding, or would a very small amount of EMF create the 'noise.'

Regards,

William

Post Time: 10/07/2010 00:24:38
AndrewCohen
Total Forum Posts: 14
Alasdair on Andrew's computer:

It could be.
It seems that you describe a hissing sound rather than a low-frequency hum.

Best way to test is to use one of the EMFields screening headnets or wrap some known good quality RF screening fabric material around your head. If the noise goes away then you need to do more screening of your room. If it doesn't, then suspect mild tinnitus.

Low frequency hums can come from transformers (e.g. shaver point in the bathroom) or electricity meter or, especially, a fridge or freezer in the house. It is amazing how those hums can travel if you have very good low-frequency hearing. I do and it can be a very big irritating nuisance (my medium and high-frequency hearing, which used to be excellent, is now really rather poor).

Also main-road tyre-noise hum and long-distance gas pipeline hum can sometimes be heard even with earplugs in. Wrap you head in a duvet or put a pillow to each ear to get good acoustic damping to test for real noise.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards

Alasdair
Post Time: 14/07/2010 11:23:14
WRGE2000
Yes, it's still there even with a canopy around my head (!)
I didn't even thing about tinnitus as I thought that would be a more obvious 'ringing'. I don't think it is electrical as I have experimented with sleeping with the mains electricity switched off...

Post Time: 18/07/2010 22:43:26
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Some people are very sensitive to real ELF noise. My hearing is fairly poor now but I am extremely sensitive to noise below 100 Hz - especially at night - I can detect 50 Hz hum when no-one else can. Do not dismiss the electricity meter causing the hum - that doesn't get switched off by the main switch! Old meters can be quite hummy. If you have an old one, ask for a more modern meter (not a Smart one!). See if you can hear the hum at night when standing next to it. As they are screwed to a board that is screwed to the wall, they can put hum into the wall structure.

Key test would be (i) do you hear it in the country (probably at night) well away from anything mains electrical and away from road noise (not easy!)? Also, did you try the duvet several times around your head test?

In one house I investigated (belonging to a retired Cambridge Physics Professor) when only one person (his wife) could hear it, we tracked it down to tyre noise rumble on the A14 (about half-a-mile away across several open fields) resonating with bedroom volume. We cured it (in stages) by moving large furniture around, adding heavy duty underlay under the carpet, adding really thick heavyweight curtains and hung a 15 tog duvet with a pretty cover on the wall opposite the window. That sorted the problem completely.

In another house near Bolton, it was due to an unused ground-floor chimney with a panel covering the fireplace acting as a organ pipe when the wind was in certain directions and between certain wind speeds. The "noise" was traveling right through the detached house structure. The local environmental health people said that there was nothing there! We sorted that by adding a cowl (to keep rain water out and inserting a large plug of glass wool thermal insulation about 50cm into the top and bottom of the chimney. The problem completely disappeared.

Don't give up searching too easily!

Alasdair
Post Time: 26/07/2010 21:46:57
WRGE2000
Thanks for the reply.
I did try the duvet thing and I could still hear it. Since then I have started an exercise programme and I'm quite sure that I hear less of the ringing. Perhaps I've somehow released an energy block in the ear or something, I have no idea.

William