© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Screening advice

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Screening advice

Post Time: 17/10/2010 17:50:44
Eli
Total Forum Posts: 7
I was wondering if anyone can help. We are planning to screen our wall internally with aluminium foil. Obviously, not liking the space-age look, we were planning to cover this over with lining paper. I was just wondering (to avoid any trial and error) what adhesives people had had success with sticking the foil to the wall, and lining paper to foil. Will normal wallpaper paste be sufficient? I'm sure EMFields used to stock a screening paper, but I can't seem to find it now. Thank you.
Post Time: 06/01/2011 11:11:55
Jean Philips
Total Forum Posts: 22
As long as the wall is an internal wall you are not likely to get problems with water from external sources in the wall as the foil is a vapour barrier. You may get condensation problems, especially in corners, where moulds may grow, if ventilation is inadequate, as, again, foil is a vapour barrier.
If you still choose to use foil, it is quite lightweight and any adhesive would do, it does not need to be heavy duty. Great care needs to be taken as foil is very fragile, unless you have found some more heavyweight quality.
Lining paper has to be done very carefully, to ensure the foil barrier is intact. As lightweight adhesive as you can get away with to avoid pulling away the foil.
EMFields has never stocked screening paper, because of the practical issue of earthing the foil (which I hope you have done). Otherwise there can be a considerable increase of electric fields across the whole of the wall.
We are currently working on ideas to develop a screening paper that will deal with all the practicalities that are involved, but like all new products, it takes some time to deal with all the issues that arise.
In many ways, paint is an easier long-term option.
Jean