© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - Limitation in Switzerland

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

Limitation in Switzerland

Post Time: 10/02/2011 19:33:44
Jorgen
Total Forum Posts: 4
I am a Norwegian man working to reduce the level of electromagnetic fields from mobile phones in Norway. I have been informed that Switzerland has not taken the 3G (nor 4 G – the UTMS) mobile system into use due to health uncertainties, is that correct?

Further, I have heard that Switzerland are in the process (to evaluate) to reduce the allowable level with a factor of 20 000 form the existing recommendation given by ICNIRP, that gives a max value of 500 µW/m2. Is that correct?

Please give references if you have.

I will appreciate if someone can give me an answer to those questions.

Regards
Jorgen Holst
Post Time: 13/02/2011 12:42:49
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Swisscom, Tele Danmark's dSpeed, France Telecom/Orange and Team 3G/Telefonica were all awarded 15-year 3G/UMTS licences in Switzerland in December 2000. As far as I know all had more than 50% coverage by the end of 2004 and they all now claim 3G coverage in the range 94-98%.

06.06.2006 No short-term effects of UMTS mobile telephone radiation on well-being. The Swiss follow-up study of the TNO-study published today found no short-term effects of UMTS mobile telephone radiation on well-being. This is an important indication that the limits which are in force adequately protect the population, on the basis of the current state of knowledge. It is still necessary to keep an eye on the long-term effects.

The Installation Limit Value (ILV) for mobile phone base stations is 3 V/m (c. 25,0000 uW/m2). It is substantially lower than the exposure limit value which is the same as for ICNIRP. Contrary to the exposure limit values they are not based on health effects but on the technical and economic practicability. Experience shows that long term exposure from a single source at places of sensitive use can in the great majority of cases be kept far below the exposure limit values without unduly impeding the construction and operation of installations. The ILV are therefore not new, lower safety limit values. They simply reflect today’s state of technology to reduce long term exposure.

For further information, copy and paste these weblinks:

http://www.bag.admin.ch/themen/strahlung/00053/00673/04265/index.html?lang=en

http://www.bafu.admin.ch/elektrosmog/index.html?lang=en

http://www.bafu.admin.ch/elektrosmog/01079/index.html?lang=en

I hope this helps. Best regards,
Alasdair
Post Time: 15/02/2011 18:26:36
Jorgen
Total Forum Posts: 4
Thank you very much for a crear answer.

Jorgen