© Copyright Powerwatch 2024

Powerwatch Forums - View Thread - YSHIELD

[Back to Forums Main Index]
[Back to Powerwatch Open Forum Index]

YSHIELD

Post Time: 17/10/2011 20:09:19
WRGE2000
Total Forum Posts: 13
I have used this product extensively in my house.
For some reason I just feel very uncomfortable with it, particulary when I'm resting/sleeping. The paint has reduced the EMF to 0.03 V/m, which is a considerable reduction. I have earthed the paint as instructed, and have even resorted to sleeping with the electricity switched off...
I wonder if even such a low measurement is significant because the EMF somehow rebounds off the paint? Or could wrong application of the paint cause this feeling of discomfort?

Regards,

William

Post Time: 11/11/2011 09:39:28
Sarahp
Total Forum Posts: 48
Hi William

Sorry for the delay in replying but this forum is not monitored very often - since we stopped the subscription service, we only check here irregularly.

If the fields have been reduced to that level, you have applied it correctly.

If you are sensitive to electrical fields, I am wondering if you should have earthed the paint. We don't advise earthing the paint automatically, but to measure the electrical fields with a meter such as the EMFields PRO meter to see whether the electrical fields are higher before earthing or after.

The reason why they could be higher after earthing is that the paint is conductive, and if there aren't electrical fields there to start off with, then the paint can actually attract electrical fields. We always recommend you measure the field levels before attaching any earthing wire, then after. If the fields are higher AFTERWARD, then remove the earthing wire.

Any screening product works primarily by reflection, but if the RF fields have been reduced to such an extent then they are correctly being reflected away from you (back the way they came from). They won't be increasing your exposure or you'd be measuring higher fields.

If the electrical fields are low, then I'm afraid I don't know what may be causing you to be uncomfortable with the paint, but it won't be anything the paint is doing.

Best wishes

Sarah Paine
EMFields
Post Time: 11/11/2011 10:03:10
alasdairP
Total Forum Posts: 173
Hi William,

I don't believe it is the actual Y-shield paint that is the problem. The first question that comes to my mind is "have you measured the power-frequency (50Hz) electric fields in the room?"

ES people can react to RF and/or ELF fields. At ELF it is almost always the electric field component that people react to. You have effectively removed the RF component (0.03 V/m is good). Power frequency electric fields (you need a suitable meter to measure these) should ideally always be below 10 V/m and ideally below 3 V/m - especially for ES people. In most rooms in most houses in the UK they are 5 to 50 V/m depending where you are, rising dramatically towards where any wiring is located (e.g. by wall light switches).

Electric fields upstairs usually mostly come from the lighting wiring for downstairs (i.e. the floor below). This causes an earthing dilemma as regards the paint. If you earth the paint on upstairs room walls then the electric field you will experience will almost always greatly INCREASE unless, and Henrik has done, you place earthed foil on the floor of the rooms to absorb the electric fields from the downstairs ceiling lighting circuits. If you don't do this then you become part of the electric path between that underfloor wiring and your now earthed walls. That is why we don't recommend earthing the paint if only on one or two walls. It is a difficult judgement call. In the UK you don't have to earth wall paint.

Best results are achieved if you paint all walls and ceiling (and possibly the door) in the room to be protected and (ESSENTIAL!) you earth the floor surface to stop ELF electric fields (and RF - it is surprising how much RF can sometimes be reflected of the ground and come up through the floor). Of course, the windows must be screened using special window film or high-quality screening fabrics. Then the room is most like a Faraday cage and the fields inside will be very low indeed.

Painting just one or two walls is fine and is often adequate, but as you paint or otherwise screen more of a room you can end up in a situation where the RF is still getting in (though window or door opening) and it then bounces around inside the room. Ceilings and floors must not be ignored as potential sources of RF ingress. Often it is not necessary to screen them, but sometimes it is.

Good ventilation is crucial for everyone - especially sensitive people. I am constatntly amazed when visiting homes how many rooms have their windows shut all the time. Unless you have forced internal air circulation and change using heat recovery to heat incoming fresh air, then you should have enough natural ventialtion to ensure a full air-change every few hours. Many semi-sealed homes are toxic time bombs, with chemicals outgassing from funiture, carpets, plastic goods, etc, all of which can cause adverse syptoms. Ideally the windows should all have trickle ventilators which should be left open. This was not necessary in olden days as wooden windows rarely fitted that well (unlike modern doubleglazed units with rubber or plastic sealing strips) and also most furnishings were not coated with chemicals like fire retardants.

I hope this is helpful