04/04/2008 - BioPros Fabricated Science Fiction
George Carlo has just started to distribute a major message to entirely disassociate himself with BioPro, having encountered many comments over the last few years implying that he endorses their products. The following is his announcement in full:
To Those Suffering from EMR Related Symptoms:
I deeply regret the misleading message that is portrayed in two videos of my image being shown on YouTube by people from Biopro Technology.
- The videos are the product of fabricated science presented to the Safe Wireless Initiative by Biopro to manipulate the Safe Wireless Initiative into a working alliance that could be leveraged by Biopro to sell its wares.
- Information presented to the Safe Wireless Initiative by Biopro and the person who sells them the MRET technology, Igor Smirnov was science fiction.
- In 2005, when the data were presented to us at the Safe Wireless Initiative, we took it at face value -- we took Biopro and Smirnov at their words. We erred. And, unfortunately did not make it a priority to perform the proper due diligence with independent testing until the middle of last year.
- With that independent testing and evaluation now completed, there is no doubt that the Biopro technology does nothing of what it claims. Indeed, it has little value in helping prevent EMR related health effects.
- I am firmly opposed to what Biopro does in their business and opposed to the misleading portrayals of their products.
- The strategic alliance with Biopro has been severed now for almost a year, and was indeed one of my most regrettable professional mistakes.
Please accept my sincerest apology for any harm this misrepresentation has caused you. I regret that this video now has a life of its own on the Internet being propagated by Biopro people trying to sell pyramid-type business dreams and products that have no independent scientific support.
Please help us by circulating this e-mail to whoever else might be harmed. It is critically important that those who are potentially being damaged by this misinformation are given the proper information.
Dr. George L Carlo
Safe Wireless Initiative
Also in the news
Environment Canada scientists told to toe the line
Environment Canada has "muzzled" its scientists, ordering them to refer all media queries to Ottawa where communications officers will help them respond with "approved lines." according to the Canada national post.
Apparently, for a scientist to explain what they think about science is no longer acceptable policy, nor are they allowed to publicly speculate on events, issues or policy issues.
This appears to be not only a complete breach of someone's right to free and open speech, but also is completely against the basic premise of the scientific approach, which should encourage open debate about what research may mean and what the implications may be.
This seems to be very close to what is happening with the SMC (Science Media Centre) in this country, and is dark news for scientific progress.
French Survey on living near HV Power Lines
A recent survey analysed in France by CRIIREM found elevated leukaemia and breast cancer rates (amongst other health effects) in the first samples analysed. From a total of approximately 8000 questionnaires, data from the first 350 to be analysed is already suggesting a clear trend:
"Health problems focused around sleep, memory and hearing, but also headaches, irritability and depression are more frequent for people exposed to HV lines than those not exposed. What's more, these symptoms disappear to a significant degree when people move away from the zones affected by the HV line. More seriously, certain illnesses requiring major treatment or surgery and some cancers (leukaemia, breast, thyroid,) are more frequently found in the exposed population"
Pierre Le Ruz, doctor of physiology and scientific director of CRIIREM
- View Stop THT (survey organiser) press release
- View CRIIREM Website
This page has links to content that requires a .pdf reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader